AbezAbez Is... 50% White, 50 % Pakistani, Muslim Hijab-wearing type female, Daughter of Momma, Sister of Owlie Wife of HF, Momma of Khalid, a special little boy with Autism, and Iman, a special little girl with especially big hair, Writer, Graphic Designer, Editor, Freelancer, Blogger, Inhaler of Chocolate
Right Brain Left Brain Islam poetry
Mortal Wounds BebeFiles Husbandfiles

 
My sister, De Owl

My Husband, who never updates!

Mona, who I don't visit enough

Hemlock, who I don't hug enough

Baji, the orginal robot monkey pirate

Prometheus, who buts brains to blog about Autism

Socrates, a blogger with Asperger's

Jo, a funnier Autism mom with a great blog

Autism Watch-  for logic-based information

ASAT- Assosciation for Science in Autism Treatments

Quack Watch- for current news and info on all sort of medical treatments

Expat Women Blog Directory

My Cousin- really, he's my cousin.  Wish he would update more.

 
 
 
 

Thursday, May 08, 2003

"The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be...The nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists" -Martin Luther King

I agree. I think we should all be extremists, the kind that are extremely steadfast (3:15), extremely patient (2:155-157), extremely God-conscious (3:102), extremely good to our parents (17:23), extremely well-mannered (24:27),extremely vigilant in saving the world from evil (10:63), extremely charitable (17:26) and therefore, extremely Muslim. Hey, does that make me a Muslim extremist? I wish! Too bad extremism is a four-letter word, eh?

__________

I called that lady who does kickboxing. It turns out, she only does the class once a week in conjunction with the aerobics class she already teaches, just so that her students don’t get too bored. Unfortunately, they can’t take kickboxing three times a week (too strenuous), nor can she teach three other classes of kickboxing in addition to her pre-existing schedule (the human body has limits, you know). So then I called the swimming pool instead.

We interrupt this blog to bring you info relevant to Chai, Crayon, and Aniraz: Shaukat Spa in F-6 has women-only swimming hours, in the morning from 9:30-12:30, and then in the afternoon from 2:30-6:00. Membership for three months is 6k. We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.

So now I’m disappointed because kickboxing is unavailable, but also excited because swimming is affordable and convenient! Yay!

I’ve had to reschedule some of my classes, which meant standing in front of a dry-erase board with a marker and a headache, trying to work my schedule out around my students’ schedules, racking my brains to remember which classes can be rescheduled and which cannot. Now, this isn’t an exciting thing in and of itself, but I’m saying this to excuse my laziness in blogging. I now work every morning, instead of only Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, but on the other hand, I no longer have four evening classes a week. What a relief!

Ah, Aniraz just delivered my cup of coffee directly to the computer desk. What service! Too bad the menu in this place is so limited. I’m not going to enumerate the contents of my fridge again. The same stuff is in there as last time, minus the ketchup. We’re out of ketchup. We still have half a gallon of salsa though, and egg (singular).

Did I mention that we have carry-out from my father’s restaurant twice daily? Did I mention that’s murder on my diet? No? Well, I’m mentioning it now. Restaurant food is too greasy and too tasty to be conducive to good health and physical fitness. When my dad’s restaurant gets really big and he gets really rich (InshaAllah), I’m going to sue him for damages the same way fat kids in the US are suing McDonalds and Burger King. I should start looking for a lawyer now.

English Night is coming up again, and I have to try to figure out what I’ll use as prizes. Once it was trophies, once it was medals made out of sugar cookies, last time it was fake flowers and a banner (like in the Miss America pageant, only the banners said, “Scrabble Champ” instead of “Miss Vermont”). Once again taking stock of the raw materials around my house: I have found some silver glitter, yellow felt, one egg, construction paper, scraps of red satin, and a staple gun. Any suggestions here, people?

And now, one of my MOST favorite verses from the Qur’an...or an excerpt from it anyway. I’ve broken it into lines to make it easier to understand. Here we goes!

“...But righteous is he who believes in Allah and the Last Day and the Angels and the Scripture and the Prophets,

...And gives his wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask, and to set slaves free,

...And observes proper worship and pays the poor-due (Zakat).

...And those who keep their treaty when they make one, and the patient in tribulation and adversity and times of stress.

...Such are they who are sincere.

...Such are the God-fearing.” -The Holy Qur’an, 2:177

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

 
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas