AbezAbez Is... 50% White, 50 % Pakistani, Muslim Hijab-wearing type female, Daughter of Momma, Sister of Owlie Wife of HF, Momma of Khalid, a special little boy with Autism, and Iman, a special little girl with especially big hair, Writer, Graphic Designer, Editor, Freelancer, Blogger, Inhaler of Chocolate
Right Brain Left Brain Islam poetry
Mortal Wounds BebeFiles Husbandfiles

 
My sister, De Owl

My Husband, who never updates!

Mona, who I don't visit enough

Hemlock, who I don't hug enough

Baji, the orginal robot monkey pirate

Prometheus, who buts brains to blog about Autism

Socrates, a blogger with Asperger's

Jo, a funnier Autism mom with a great blog

Autism Watch-  for logic-based information

ASAT- Assosciation for Science in Autism Treatments

Quack Watch- for current news and info on all sort of medical treatments

Expat Women Blog Directory

My Cousin- really, he's my cousin.  Wish he would update more.

 
 
 
 

Friday, August 15, 2008

If HF asks, tell him I was typing in my sleep...

HF is asleep, Khalid is asleep, Iman is asleep- why then am I awake? Because it's hard to eat chocolate cereal in your dreams, that's why.

So my bowl of chocolate cereal and I are here to share our continuing adventures in dental destiny. On Wednesday, I dutifully submitted to the dentist- a nice man who does horrible things to my mouth, and let him fight it out with my jaw for ownership of my last two wisdom teeth. It wasn't a fair fight. He had pliers and some sort of ice-pick. My teeth were unarmed. After about twenty minutes of wrangling, the teeth were out and my unhappy gums were packed with cotton.

That would have ended a painful but mundane day in dental history, were it not for the evil forces of TMJ. TMJ is a long a complicated term that, for me, means that in addition to popping and clicking at embarrassing times, my jaw is also vulnerable to being dislocated and locked open anytime I visit a dentist. So thanks to TMJ, I left the dentist with a misaligned mouth, but thanks to the anethesia, I had no idea until 11pm that night when I realized I couldn't close my teeth.

I called the dentist and he offered a simple solution-

Is your husband home?

Yes.

Tell him to place his thumbs on your molars and push your jaw open and down, when it clicks, push it back into place.

-blink blink-

Try that and let me know if it works. I'll be waiting for your call.

I headed for the bedroom, where HF was sitting in the rocking chair reading while Khalid, presumably falling asleep, was waving his feet from under a pile of pillows.

(Hey, have you ever wanted to dislocate my jaw? Now's your chance!)

HF blinked a few times when I told him the plan. He grinned nervously and said he'd give it a shot. We tried it a few times- HF with both thumbs in my mouth, trying to force my jaw open without hurting me and overall, succeeding in little more than causing my tongue to get dry.

(Don't worry, the worst you can do is dislocate my jaw, and that's what we're trying to do!)

It didn't work. HF is too nice, too gentle, and maybe even too squeamish. By then it was 11:30. I called the dentist back and arrangements were made to meet me back at his clinic. I made it there just after 1 am, and after much pushing and pulling of my jaw, the dentist succeeded in popping it somewhat back into place.

But not completely back into place- my teeth were set too far to the right, and the ones on the bottom were set exactly in line with the ones on top, when normally they are set just behind. Apparently, my jaw has spasmed, and due possibly to inflammation as well- it's stuck there. Still- even as I type this, my jaw is set down and to the right. My teeth only align if I manually push things back into place, and that too is painful.

So what now? Well, first we laugh and shake our head, but not too hard, because it's all stiff and sore. Then, we wait one more day and see if the swelling goes down. We're taking anti-inflammatory meds, and if that doesn't work, the dentist will prescribe a muscle relaxant. Me, I just wish I could chew again.

By Abez, the end.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 15/8/08 5:26 AM, Blogger yasmine said...

dude, i read this part:

Tell him to place his thumbs on your molars and push your jaw open and down, when it clicks, push it back into place.

...and laughed. and then i read the rest of the post. holy good god, yaara, that sounds so painful!

get well soon, and i hope it all goes smoothly, inshaAllah. meanwhile, eat lots of ice cream and drink milkshakes! this is your chance to do it guilt-free! =)

also, your dentist answers calls from his patients at 11pm, and lets them come into his office at 1am?! (interro-awesome!) i need to find a dentist like this, for times when i may have teeth emergencies.

 
At 16/8/08 7:27 AM, Blogger Professor Moriarty said...

Can't help you there Z...the last time I had my jaw dislocated and put back into place...it was by the same guy while I was trying to arrest him.

Maybe you should just try the dentist again.

Besides...muscle relaxers aren't All Bad :P

 
At 17/8/08 9:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

ackk! doesn't sound totally alright to me :|

 
At 18/8/08 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch!

 
At 18/8/08 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 26/8/08 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have described the process I use to turn my futon into a full-size bed.

 

Post a Comment

Home

 
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas