AbezAbez Is... 50% White, 50 % Pakistani, Muslim Hijab-wearing type female, Daughter of Momma, Sister of Owlie Wife of HF, Momma of Khalid, a special little boy with Autism, and Iman, a special little girl with especially big hair, Writer, Graphic Designer, Editor, Freelancer, Blogger, Inhaler of Chocolate
Right Brain Left Brain Islam poetry
Mortal Wounds BebeFiles Husbandfiles

 
My sister, De Owl

My Husband, who never updates!

Mona, who I don't visit enough

Hemlock, who I don't hug enough

Baji, the orginal robot monkey pirate

Prometheus, who buts brains to blog about Autism

Socrates, a blogger with Asperger's

Jo, a funnier Autism mom with a great blog

Autism Watch-  for logic-based information

ASAT- Assosciation for Science in Autism Treatments

Quack Watch- for current news and info on all sort of medical treatments

Expat Women Blog Directory

My Cousin- really, he's my cousin.  Wish he would update more.

 
 
 
 

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Green Eggs, Citizen Journalism, and Ham.

I came across an article the other day that made reference to "citizen journalism," a phenomenon so powerful that news conglomerates and spin doctors could no longer cover up unsavory events. Try as they may to keep things hidden, news gets out because somewhere, someone blogs about it. I find that both a little reassuring and a lotta scary- reassuring because however small, and however obscured by blogs about the dog and why I hate the girl at my office, the public still has a voice.

What's a little scary though, is that the media is so unreliable and hopelessly twisted by political and private slants that we only know what they want us to know, and even when we find out, they distract us with pretty pictures and colored lights and we forget our indignation and buy iPods and move on. (Oooh, shiny!)

HF and I own a second-hand iPod btw, it's fantastic for listening to ibooks in the car. Living in the UAE means living in traffic alot. Moving on-

So in the spirit of (hemhem) Citizen Journalism, I would like to pretend like my blog is a news forum and throw out a question- Would you carpool? I've started freelancing for papers here, and in the spirit of the recent focus on how very badly the traffic in Dubai stinks, I'm supposed to be writing up on how to fix the problem instead of just whining about it.

So, would you carpool?

Would you, could you, carpool?


Would you carpool from your house?
Would you carpool with a louse?

I would not carpool from my house.
I would not carpool with a louse.
I would not carpool from the docks.
I would not carpool in my socks.
I would not carpool here or there.
I would not carpool anywhere.
I would not carpool, Sam-I-Am
Not even in your new Grand Am.

-ahem-

16 Comments:

At 19/11/06 4:06 PM, Blogger Zee said...

Dude, the journo-writing is getting to ye. It's addled your brains. You're one step away from being me. Be afraid, be very afraid.

 
At 20/11/06 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not carpool, because I hate it when people do not like the music I listen to, and no-one likes the music I listen to....yes, I am a big champion of freedom of choice that way...the freedom to choose to like what I like.

But I strongly advocate car-pooling for the UAE road-dwellers...I clap and give thumbs up every time I see two people in a car on my morning drive to work...In those 90 minutes of pure agony I always end up finding at least one car where there are three people in one car, and I thank them for reducing two cars on the road...those guys probably do not have music players in those cars...or maybe two out of every three are deaf...or maybe they all just listen to good music, and where's the fun in that...

But, yeah, people ought to car pool.

 
At 21/11/06 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It it were convenient to my lifestyle, yes. But as it is, I would not drag two other people everyday to my babysitter's house and back to my house (backtracking anyone?) on a daily basis. It doesn't work for us.

 
At 21/11/06 5:27 AM, Blogger hemlock said...

you know, they otta print your poetry in the paper, it's much more interesting than the news they print.

 
At 21/11/06 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the dr.suess poetry is just plain funny. you should get them to publish that!

 
At 22/11/06 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really weird... just as a story about Rupert Murdoch controlling the British Press finished on the news... I read this.

I reckon the UAE should siphon some of its truckloads of money into reliable, little-polluting public transport. And I'm saying this even after having spent a couple of hours in the suffocatingly packed London Tube. I'd rather be stuffy than be rained on by acid, see?

 
At 22/11/06 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I love the fact that blogs make such a difference! Although, having seen some of the many Islamophobic anti-Mexican immigrant white supremacist blogs, you've got a lot to combat, Citizen Journalism. (I know it's not meant to be a noun - but it just sounds so cool as one. Like Citizen Kane.)

 
At 22/11/06 5:35 PM, Blogger Abez said...

Lol, it's always great to have intelligent feedback- I've been away from the blog for a few days and was pleasantly surprised by what's accumulated in the comment box.

I was wondering though, can I quote you guyses>? All of yous? (AOIF, Saira, Knicq, Owl)

And Lawrence, Hemmie, if I can somehow work the poem into the article, believe me, I will :D

 
At 25/11/06 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure can!

 
At 25/11/06 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(BTW which paper is this and is it viewable online?)

 
At 26/11/06 9:57 AM, Blogger Abez said...

It will be in the Emirates Today, and it's available online, yesh.

 
At 26/11/06 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just wondering why you would want to quote Owlie's comment above in this article...On second thought, knowing how you write, I am sure its going to be entertaining...hope Owlie doesn't mind!

 
At 27/11/06 8:35 PM, Blogger Abez said...

Sorry guyses, due to space constraints I had to cut down all ut three quotes- one from Hemmie, one from a guy who DID share his ride, and one from someone who felt they couldn't trust ridesharers. :(

 
At 1/12/06 1:57 AM, Blogger Farrukh Naeem said...

When the border tax arrives, only carpools will save the poor crossborder commuters.

You did good in the Hijab counterpoint feature, Abez.

Oh yeah - congrats on the chamchamaata, naya domain name. I see you now have a really sweet supporting cast too.

Good to be back.

With two blogs of my own ;-)

farrukh

 
At 11/12/06 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUDE!!! update?

 
At 14/12/06 2:28 PM, Blogger Abez said...

Oh, right! hehe

 

Post a Comment

Home

 
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas