AbezAbez Is... 50% White, 50 % Pakistani, Muslim Hijab-wearing type female, Daughter of Momma, Sister of Owlie Wife of HF, Momma of Khalid, a special little boy with Autism, and Iman, a special little girl with especially big hair, Writer, Graphic Designer, Editor, Freelancer, Blogger, Inhaler of Chocolate
Right Brain Left Brain Islam poetry
Mortal Wounds BebeFiles Husbandfiles

 
My sister, De Owl

My Husband, who never updates!

Mona, who I don't visit enough

Hemlock, who I don't hug enough

Baji, the orginal robot monkey pirate

Prometheus, who buts brains to blog about Autism

Socrates, a blogger with Asperger's

Jo, a funnier Autism mom with a great blog

Autism Watch-  for logic-based information

ASAT- Assosciation for Science in Autism Treatments

Quack Watch- for current news and info on all sort of medical treatments

Expat Women Blog Directory

My Cousin- really, he's my cousin.  Wish he would update more.

 
 
 
 

Monday, September 01, 2008

Ramadan: Day One!

AssalamuAlaikum All and Ye Few Sundry!

So political moonsighting differences aside, today was Day One of Ramadan here in the UAE, and for me, it was my first fast in two years. (Fasting is only mandatory for people healthy enough to do it, which sort of excludes pregnant peeples if there is fear of harm to mother or child.)

So how did it go? Well, first I was up all night working. That was Mistake Number 1. Then I had to drop HF off at work by 9:30 so I could keep the car to complete some time-senstive bank stuff, and that was Tribulation Number 2. And then when I got home at 11:30 am, Iman and Khalid were still themselves, and that was So It Goes Number 3, which meant my nap was segmented by various periods of waking/baby-feeding/kid-tending.

Then, at 3:00, I woke up and did some cooking, fed Iman again, and then set off to pick HF up from work by 4:30.

It was a busy day. I nearly fell asleep at the wheel numerous times. I thank God for keeping me alive and reasonably in between the dotted lines on the Abu Dhabi/Dubai highway. I thank Saniya for keeping me awake on the phone. Alhamdulillah, it was a great day, because despite having tiny Sehri, little sleep, and much to do, it felt wonderful to be fasting again- thirsty and hungry and light and eager to regain control over my stomach and my willpower and my self-discipline.

That was Day One, Alhamdulillah,

5 Comments:

At 2/9/08 1:26 PM, Blogger baj said...

alhumdulillah! and ditto! it's not so easy this fasting while having two bebes and a job, but if it were easy, it wouldn't mean much, right? truth be told, not eating has freed up some time in my days that i can dedicate to running after the wee ones, squeezing in a nap, and commenting on people's blogs. case in point.

 
At 3/9/08 1:51 AM, Blogger Zee said...

You know the poem that goes "I felt a funeral in my brain?" That's what my head feels like right now. Fasting always gives me stupid migraines. Not even the self-respecting, lay-me-out-cold types, but the STUPID pansy ones that randomly stab me in the eye or kick in when I try to move quickly. Oh, and when I stand up, the world gets dim and fuzzy. Wheeee!

But yeah, that's what it's all about, no?

 
At 5/9/08 2:30 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Ramadan Mubarak!

 
At 6/9/08 10:09 PM, Blogger Mona said...

ramadan mubarak! i'm fasting after two whole years too - and loving it. we have to do iftar one of these days. when are you coming to this side of the country, huh?

 
At 7/9/08 4:29 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Ramadan Kareem, darling.
Enjoy a blessed fast and your blessed little ones as much as possible. Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

Home

 
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas