AbezAbez Is... 50% White, 50 % Pakistani, Muslim Hijab-wearing type female, Daughter of Momma, Sister of Owlie Wife of HF, Momma of Khalid, a special little boy with Autism, and Iman, a special little girl with especially big hair, Writer, Graphic Designer, Editor, Freelancer, Blogger, Inhaler of Chocolate
Right Brain Left Brain Islam poetry
Mortal Wounds BebeFiles Husbandfiles

 
My sister, De Owl

My Husband, who never updates!

Mona, who I don't visit enough

Hemlock, who I don't hug enough

Baji, the orginal robot monkey pirate

Prometheus, who buts brains to blog about Autism

Socrates, a blogger with Asperger's

Jo, a funnier Autism mom with a great blog

Autism Watch-  for logic-based information

ASAT- Assosciation for Science in Autism Treatments

Quack Watch- for current news and info on all sort of medical treatments

Expat Women Blog Directory

My Cousin- really, he's my cousin.  Wish he would update more.

 
 
 
 

Monday, January 08, 2007

This is the Captain speaking...


Every now and then I decide I've been a wicked sloth monkey. This is a phrase my mother coined that I believe combines all the worst elements of the evil flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz and the deadly sin of Sloth. As far as eating according to the Sunnah, as far as working out, as far as reading Qur'an and praying Fajr and giving an overall damn about my personal and spiritual maintenance- I've been a very bad sloth monkey indeed.

I'm still holding on the ten more post-baby pounds, I can't remember the last time I did a push-up, there's a layer of dust on my Qur'an so thick that opening The Book may require an archaeological dig... It's sad, but the good news is, I'm still Captain of the LazyShip Abez, and I say we're going to change course!

I know, I know, I do this often, and the reassuring this is, it works. Considering how often (hu)man slips up, one should be willing to change course however many times necessary to keep the ship from going into the part of the map that says Thar Be Monsters. One should be willing to take correction, to admit mistakes, and if necessary- to make charts.

I have a tendency to make charts. I have charts from 1996 until 2000 that count the number of prayers missed a day, every day. They are all titled, "Abez Is An Idiot," but they mean that in a good way, in a gentle way that means that if I miss prayer for anything less than a coma, I'm an idiot. No water? I can do tayummum. No masjid? All of the earth is a place of worship. No time? Generally, honestly, there's no such thing as no time. How many minutes does it take to say just the Fard- just the basics of prayer? Five? And how long do I spend surfing the net, taste-testing cereal and installing crooked bookshelves in my bedroom? Too Long. If I can just pray first, just pray before I spend an hour and a half realizing I have the wrong drill bit for cement, then I won't have to suddenly realize (with dust on my hands and an oddly shaped hole in the wall) that I only have ten minutes left until Asr time begins.

I digress. I made a chart. Because I do better with achievable, short-term goals, it is divided into two one-week sections. Each day has a field for Working Out, Reading Quran, and Drinking A litre of Water a Day. The more water you drink, the less hungry you feel, and the easier it is to eat according to what your body needs as compared to what your stomach wants.

Starting today, Monday January 8, as soon as I finish this blog, I have to do 30 min of reading/Qur'an, 30 min of working out, and fill a big water bottle and carry it around with me so I drink from it all day.

Life is an ongoing process, and Self should always be a work in progress. None of us are perfect, but all of us could be better, InshaAllah.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8/1/07 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

inshAllah!
i hope you have more success with your resolutions than i do. i make new ones everyday.
i'm the wickedest sloth monkey there ever was.

 
At 8/1/07 10:34 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Well I'm the Queen of the Wicked Sloth Monkeys so I beat both of you. How funny that today is the day (only 8 days into the new year) that I started acting on my perpetual resolutions. Why make new ones ever year when the old ones are still unfulfilled!? Today I started eating right and was mentally making a chart for healthy food consumption, miles walked, prayers and scripture study. Great Sloth-Monkey minds run in the same direction. Sunday hugs to you my darling and delightful Abez and your HF and Babeface.
HRH Queen Carol
(Queen of Cultural Confussion AND Wicked Sloth-Monkeys)

 
At 9/1/07 5:27 PM, Blogger Zee said...

Yeh, see somehow in the mix, I inherited a self loathing gene, which though damned annoying, counters any wicked sloth monkey leanings. I'll lend you a cup of it sometime.

 
At 15/1/07 4:42 AM, Blogger Ol' Baby said...

I've posted up the prayer timings on my bedroom door, I have to look at it everytime I leave the room. It reminds me to say my prayers. I suggest leave the chart somewhere where your eye will catch it constantly!

 
At 15/1/07 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am al-missing you much.

 

Post a Comment

Home

 
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas