AbezAbez Is... 50% White, 50 % Pakistani, Muslim Hijab-wearing type female, Daughter of Momma, Sister of Owlie Wife of HF, Momma of Khalid, a special little boy with Autism, and Iman, a special little girl with especially big hair, Writer, Graphic Designer, Editor, Freelancer, Blogger, Inhaler of Chocolate
Right Brain Left Brain Islam poetry
Mortal Wounds BebeFiles Husbandfiles

 
My sister, De Owl

My Husband, who never updates!

Mona, who I don't visit enough

Hemlock, who I don't hug enough

Baji, the orginal robot monkey pirate

Prometheus, who buts brains to blog about Autism

Socrates, a blogger with Asperger's

Jo, a funnier Autism mom with a great blog

Autism Watch-  for logic-based information

ASAT- Assosciation for Science in Autism Treatments

Quack Watch- for current news and info on all sort of medical treatments

Expat Women Blog Directory

My Cousin- really, he's my cousin.  Wish he would update more.

 
 
 
 

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

And furthermore...

Afterthoughts from last week's post on Hijab:

There are no perfect hijabis any more than there are perfect Muslims. A woman wearing a hijab is not covering her head because she's reached the zenith of modesty and womanly goodness (Lookit her, thinking she's all holy...) she's covering her head because she is trying to be modest, to be recognized as a Muslim, and to be free from the otherwise imposed status of Everybody's Eye Candy.

It's a bit of a universal confusion- I'm sure Christians wearing crosses may intimidate other Christians who don't, and the same with Jews in yarmulkes, and so on. And I'm sure that there are people out there who do wear their religion to show off, but I believe that for the most part, people wear these things to remind themselves, and also, because they are trying.

I have a problem with labels. I would never, ever call myself religious. It would be an insult to religious people. I've actually been asked countless times- "So, are you a religious Muslim?"

"Well," I say, very clearly remembering prayers I constantly struggle with, trees I've never planted and bridges I've knowingly burned, "No."

"But you do that thing-" they say, pointing to my head.

"Ah, this thing..." My scarf. Yeah, I wear a scarf. SubhanAllah. But that doesn't make me religious. It doesn't even make me a 'practicing' Muslim, because no one practices perfectly. If being called a 'Trying Muslim' didn't imply you were a difficult to work with and a wear on peoples' patience, I would be ok with that, because I'm not religious, I'm very imperfectly practicing Islam, and the most generous thing I can say about myself - without first checking if there are any dark, ominous, and possibly lightning-prone clouds nearby - is that I'm trying.

So yeah, you meet hijabis who smoke, and hijabis who date, and hijabis who werk it like life is their catwalk, but just because they're hijabis doesn't mean their actions are any more or less unIslamic. Why is it that we're ok when a young Muslim woman shows up in tight jeans and no hijab, but if you add a hijab, we get really offended? Because people see hijab as a symbol of Purity (uppercase) rather than a symbol of attempted modesty, and they feel that by wearing tight pants, the girl is demeaning hijab. The truth of the matter is that the girl is demeaning the girl, not the hijab, not the religion, and not the concept. Her application is far from perfect, but are we all waiting to be perfect before we start practicing Islam? Because boy is that NEVER going to happen...

Allah tells us that the person who reads/recites Qur'an fluently is rewarded for that goodness. And the person who reads with mistakes? Who has a had time? Who's struggling? That person is rewarded double, because they're putting all the more effort in to it. Allah knows who's trying, and a girl who's trying to be modest, but is obviously also struggling, should be encouraged, not condemned. And seeing her should make us look towards our own selves- why are we seeing what she does in such a negative way? Perhaps it's self-consciousness about our own imperfections that causes resentment, and therefore- nit-pickiness in the practice of people who seem more religious than we are?

Allah knows best.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 27/6/07 9:24 AM, Blogger Arifah said...

Salam sis,

I read the previous entry on hijabis but this one I like better. Please, please, please, can I copy paste it to my blog?

Jazzakillah. =)

 
At 28/6/07 1:35 AM, Blogger Abez said...

Afie, by all means. Wa Iyak :)

 
At 7/7/07 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salam Alaikum,

This hijab predicament is so much like the beard predicament. Its the same predicament isn't it?

 
At 8/7/07 1:38 AM, Blogger Abez said...

Walaikum Assalam Anonymous-

Yep, it's exactly the same with the beard, and I think for many other outward manifestations of religion. Allah knows best.

 
At 7/8/07 1:57 PM, Blogger Sultana said...

I so totally agree with you on this issue.... I just had this conversation with my sister and husband last week! Its a very fuzzy fine line we walk on talking about this subject, everyone has an opinion to express about it.

thank you for sharing yours ;)

-Sultana

 
At 20/2/10 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

 

Post a Comment

Home

 
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas