AbezAbez Is... 50% White, 50 % Pakistani, Muslim Hijab-wearing type female, Daughter of Momma, Sister of Owlie Wife of HF, Momma of Khalid, a special little boy with Autism, and Iman, a special little girl with especially big hair, Writer, Graphic Designer, Editor, Freelancer, Blogger, Inhaler of Chocolate
Right Brain Left Brain Islam poetry
Mortal Wounds BebeFiles Husbandfiles

 
My sister, De Owl

My Husband, who never updates!

Mona, who I don't visit enough

Hemlock, who I don't hug enough

Baji, the orginal robot monkey pirate

Prometheus, who buts brains to blog about Autism

Socrates, a blogger with Asperger's

Jo, a funnier Autism mom with a great blog

Autism Watch-  for logic-based information

ASAT- Assosciation for Science in Autism Treatments

Quack Watch- for current news and info on all sort of medical treatments

Expat Women Blog Directory

My Cousin- really, he's my cousin.  Wish he would update more.

 
 
 
 

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Bebefiles: Don't look now...

But Khalid is toddling my way with a tin of shoe polish in one hand.

It would seem he has journeyed far and beyond the mirror, and sought the great Shoe Cupboard, from which he has won said Shoe Polish, and brings it to me, his Queen Momma, as a token of his love.

Yesterday, he brought me a packet of soup mix.

Khalid is, MashaAllah, walking. And exploring. And helping himself to things like shoe polish and soup mix, and today I found the cordless phone in the cabinet of tupperware that Khalid had, apparently, been making calls from.

SubhanAllah, I thought Khalid (who is trying to climb up the side of the chair I'm sitting in) was a handful BEFORE. He's been walking, technically, for about a week now, but only now is he confident enough in his abilities to go on great Quests- like Up the Hall With an Apple In His Hand, and To the Bathroom to Look Down the Toilet.

The very prospect of trying to baby-proof this house is enough to make me dizzy- how do you baby-proof a toilet? Ok, we can install those latches that keep the kitchen cabinets closed- but how do I keep him from trying to get into the garbage can? At the moment, I keep the garbage can under a chair and let little bits (like potato peels and food packaging) pile up in a bowl on the counter until I'm ready to retrieve the garbage can from its sanctuary and dump it all in one go.

Hmm, Khalid is in the shoe cupboard again.

(also, it's 3 am)

But how can I cordon off the washing machine without hampering my ability to do laundry?

(get it? hamper? laundry? HA!)

I digress. SubhanAllah, it's hard to explain the pride and wonder of watching Khalid walk- his little baby feet going pat pat pat on the floor and his little hands reaching for the next hand-hold. Now that he has the freedom to chose his own direction, you can see how his mind works. He walks himself over to the window, pats around in the fabric until he finds a way in, and then plays peekaboo with me from behind the curtains. He's playing peekaboo with me! He has the forethought to

1. Think of peekaboo

(He just walked past me holding his toothbrush)

2. Think of what is required to play
3. Locate curtains
4. Walk towards curtains
5. Find a way inside of curtains
6. Initiate peekaboo

Oh, time to go. Khalid is rubbing his lil eyes and trying to climb into my lap. He may be ready to go back to bed now.

G'nite!

5 Comments:

At 21/6/07 10:47 PM, Blogger Traveller said...

MashaAllaah

:D

 
At 23/6/07 5:50 PM, Blogger Aysh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 23/6/07 5:52 PM, Blogger Aysh said...

Aww.... MashAllah, sis. I don't know how to baby-proof bathrooms but I do know that there shouldn't be buckets left with water in them or even tubs. It is so dangerous!

I have a friend who has baby-proofed her kitchen by putting a 20litre water can on the drain hole in the middle of her kitchen. I asked her what that was about and she replies, "Oh Hania was putting her hand into it!!"
Ewww... tcheeeeeeeee!!

5:50 PM

 
At 23/6/07 6:12 PM, Blogger Saira said...

awwwwwwwwhawwwwhawwww

MashaAllah and *huggles*

 
At 29/6/07 12:11 PM, Blogger baj said...

mashaAllah! before you know it, he'll be challenging you to a dance off! zp has started walking recently too and each time he does it, i can't help but be amazed and cheer him on. he's still in the early stages, but yesterday, he stood up on his own, walked across the living room on his own, and grabbed his rice puffs from off of the dining room table on his own. yay! hooray! hooray for zainy zoo!

 

Post a Comment

Home

 
Expat Women - Helping Women Living Overseas